Warning: Strong language and opinion. Very negative and empowering at the same time.
“I do not blame people for avoiding the truth. The truth would crush most people. Our brains simply haven’t evolved to deal with this type of information.”
Life has always been a series of obstacles. At least that is how I view it. But I also view life as a game. You can make good choices and get more points (happiness) in the game or make bad choices and lose the game (depression). Don’t take it too seriously; you die in the end either way.
Really, for a 23 year old single male, what do you have to lose by trying to improve your life in a non conventional way? Almost nothing, as long as you take some simple precautions to guard your financial assets. AKA common sense.
Section 1 Negative:
- Medical system – It’s hard to think of a more bloodsucking (pun intended) establishment than the medical industry. The cost of medical bills for most things is fucking ridiculous and frankly EXTREMELY unethical.
- School – The amount of stupid shit you have to learn is ridiculous. The system is outdated and not mentally or physically healthy. Children are not meant to sit for 8 hour periods. They have too much stress from homework and tests. It blows my fucking mind people think this is an ethical system. (I am talking about the average school not Waldorf school or any unconventional school.) I never was taught how to cook, grow food, or manage finances. Are you fucking kidding me? Now on to college. What a fucking scam. People are going into thousands of dollars in debt so they can get a degree that isn’t worth shit in the modern job market. Half the degrees in college are fucking unnecessary. Most of the rest of the degrees should only take two years of classes to complete but instead the greedy assholes at the college would prefer you waste another two years taking mandatory courses like “humanities.”
- Work – It’s no secret; the job opportunities in the US have gone down the toilet. I don’t even want to talk about the working conditions and bullshit treatment most workers have to put up with. Nowadays you need a bachelor’s degree for a job that pays $11/hr. This is just the beginning stages of a fatally sick economy. Capitalism in it’s current decrepit, wasteful, and idiotic form will NOT survive into the future.
- People – Yes the world has a lot of nice people in it. It’s equally true there are a lot of psychopathic and mentally ill people that will fuck up your life without batting an eye. Besides immediate family and extremely close friends, I have found people will let you down 70% of the time. An astonishing number of people will lie to your face and/or stab you in the back for no justifiable reason. It took me 23 years to figure this out. There are 7 billion people in the world. Somehow, people think it’s a good idea to have children and contribute more people to the already overtaxed planet. Well, it’s going to be a fun future for the masses isn’t it?
- Naysayers- This type of person goes out of their way to tell you that you are incapable of doing something, or that only “professionals” or “experts” can grow food, build a cabin, produce quality furniture, live off the grid etc. Ignore these idiots for the most part.
- Doubters – This type of person doubts your capabilities and makes you second guess yourself. Ignore these people unless they have something positive to contribute, or bring up valid concerns.
- Assholes – There are too many types of assholes to list. Watch out for low quality people. They will drag you down with them if you are not careful. It’s best to stay far away from them. Don’t assume you know someone in the first 3 months of meeting them. People show their true colors when faced with stressful situations. If they turn into extreme assholes when under stress, DO NOT ASSOCIATE with them. Keep in mind there is a difference between being grumpy/depressed and being an extreme asshole. People are very unpredictable creatures for the most part. Proceed with caution. Keep only high quality individuals as your friends.
- Government Red Tape- Government regulations for living unconventionally will make it harder to achieve your goals. But you can still achieve them. For instance they may require you to build a septic system if you go off grid. They may not allow compost toilets even though they are very eco friendly. The regulations can cost you thousands of dollars to comply with. Thankfully a lot of government officials are becoming more ecologically minded. (Not all regulations are bad)
- Paperwork/Bureaucratic rituals/Taxes – Paperwork for the most part is a pain in the ass and feels like a waste of time. Our taxes mostly go towards funding the military which fights bloody wars with no ethical backing. Oh well.
- 30 year mortgage – A lot of homeowners GIVE $100,000 or more in interest to the banks over 30 years. What a fucking scam it is for people to slave away for 30 years just to afford shelter.
- Food dependency – Not knowing or having land to grow food makes you a slave to the system, DUDE.
Section 2 Positive:
Gee, what a bunch of fun problems to deal with. These problems are mostly created by the industrial cesspool that has been brewing for the last 115 years. A cesspool, where money is the God that controls everyone’s lives.
My solution to these obstacles is a simple one. Remove yourself from mainstream society as much as possible. Go off grid. You can still supply sustainable goods to the masses and maintain some relationships. So it’s really a win win situation.
You could also stay in mainstream society and attempt to change it from within like Pam Warhurst, Ron Finley, or Toby Hemenway. This can work if you have exceptional intellect, compassion, motivation, energy, and/or people skills. You will still have to pay the high price for living in the city. If you choose this route, I wish you luck. It will be a far more challenging life than living off the grid. If you do not have the right skills you will be consumed by the rat race just like the common 9 to 5er.
Living off the grid transcends most of the bullshit by:
- Improved health
- Less financial dependence on dickhead employers
- Filtering the assholes out of your life
- Bypassing a 30 years mortgage
- Being more sustainable
- Having more freedom
Transcend the rest of the bullshit by:
- Adequate amounts of money
- Having a lovely soul mate
- Not taking life too seriously
The main limiting factor for going off grid is money. Save every fucking penny available. While you’re doing that educate yourself on building, gardening, and the self sufficient lifestyle. Self sufficiency skills can be easily learned by anyone with half a brain. Money is the limiting factor. Once you have the money, buy the land and live the dream.